History of the Audit Service


Audit Service was established in 1910 by the colonial government and was called the Audit Department. It was headed by a Director. In the 1950s, the name was changed to Auditor-General’s Department.

On 22nd August 1969, the constitution of the 2nd Republic converted the department into the Audit Service headed by an Auditor-General. This was to increase the degree of independence of the Service.

The 1992 Constitution (Article 187, 188, 189) and the Audit Service Act 2000, (Act 584) reaffirms provisions made in the 1969 Constitution.